The 14th World Stroke Congress will bring the latest science, clinical trials and guidelines to
stroke prevention, treatment, rehabilitation, and support, from every part of the globe.
*Updated as of October 2022.
**Program remains subject to change.
- RESULTS OF THE TREATMENT EVALUATION OF ACUTE STROKE USING REGENERATIVE CELLS (TREASURE) CLINICAL TRIAL
- EARLY RHYTHM-CONTROL THERAPY FOR ATRIAL FIBRILLATION IN PATIENT WITH HISTORY OF STROKE IN THE EAST-AFNET 4 TRIAL
- FACTOR XIA INHIBITOR MILVEXIAN FOR SECONDARY STROKE PREVENTION: RESULTS OF THE AXIOMATIC-SSP PHASE 2 TRIAL
- EFFECTS OF ORAL FACTOR XIA INHIBITOR ASUNDEXIAN ON INCIDENT COVERT BRAIN INFARCTS ACCORDING TO SIZE, LOCATION AND MULTIPLICITY IN ACUTE NON-CARDIOEMBOLIC ISCHEMIC STROKE: PACIFIC-STROKE TRIAL
- TENECTEPLASE VERSUS ALTEPLASE IN STROKE PATIENTS WITH LARGE VESSEL OCCLUSION: RESULTS FROM THE ACT TRIAL
- TENECTEPLASE IMPROVES REPERFUSION ACROSS THE SPECTRUM OF LYSIS TO ANGIOGRAPHY TIMES: A POOLED ANALYSIS OF THE MELBOURNE STROKE REGISTRY, EXTEND-IA, AND EXTEND-IA TNK TRIALS
- MULTICENTER RANDOMIZED CLINICAL TRIAL OF ENDOVASCULAR TREATMENT OF ACUTE ISCHEMIC STROKE IN THE NETHERLANDS FOR LATE ARRIVALS: MR CLEAN-LATE
- DIRECT MECHANICAL THROMBECTOMY VERSUS BRIDGING THERAPY FOR ACUTE ISCHAEMIC STROKE – INDIVIDUAL PATIENT DATA META-ANALYSIS OF SIX RANDOMIZED CLINICAL TRIALS.
- FINAL ANGIOGRAPHIC, CLINICAL AND THROMBUS COMPOSITION RESULTS OF THE EXCELLENT REGISTRY
- THE SECOND ENHANCED CONTROL OF HYPERTENSION AND THROMBECTOMY STROKE STUDY (ENCHANTED2) RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL RESULTS
- DUAL THROMBOLYTIC THERAPY WITH MUTANT PRO-UROKINASE AND SMALL BOLUS ALTEPLASE FOR ISCHEMIC STROKE (DUMAS)
- THE PREVALENCE AND PENETRANCE OF MONOGENIC SMALL VESSEL STROKE VARIANTS IN 450,000 UK BIOBANK PARTICIPANTS
- GLOBAL DISTRIBUTIONS OF AGE- AND SEX-RELATED ARTERIAL STIFFNESS: SYSTEMATIC REVIEW AND META-ANALYSIS OF 167 STUDIES WITH 509743 PARTICIPANTS
- ASSOCIATION OF INTRAVENTRICULAR FIBRINOLYSIS WITH CLINICAL OUTCOMES IN PATIENTS WITH INTRACEREBRAL HEMORRHAGE: AN INDIVIDUAL PARTICIPANT DATA META-ANALYSIS
- A RANDOMIZED MULTICENTER STUDY TO DETERMINE THE EFFICACY OF SOVATELTIDE (TYCAMZZI™) IN PATIENTS WITH CEREBRAL ISCHEMIC STROKE
- THE INFLUENCE OF EXPERIENCE IN THE MECHANICAL THROMBECTOMY PROCEDURE ON OUTCOMES OF PATIENTS IN THE RESILIENT TRIAL – COMPARISON BETWEEN ROLL-IN AND RANDOMIZED PATIENTS
Late Breaking Clinical Trials I
- MULTIMORBIDITY IN STROKE IN SPRINT INDIA TRIAL
- MODERATE-INTENSITY ROSUVASTATIN PLUS EZETIMIBE VERSUS HIGH-INTENSITY ROSUVASTATIN FOR LDL-C REDUCTION IN RECENT ISCHEMIC STROKE; A RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL (ROSETTA-STROKE)
- LATE ANTICOAGULATION IS ASSOCIATED WITH INCREASED NUMBER OF ISCHEMIC LESIONS IN ATRIAL FIBRILLATION RELATED STROKE: THE ATTUNE TRIAL
- EFFECT OF TIME TO INTRAVENOUS THROMBOLYSIS ON CLINICAL OUTCOMES WITH TENECTEPLASE VS. ALTEPLASE: RESULTS FROM THE ACT PHASE 3 RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL
- ATTICUS RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL – RESULTS OF PRE-SPECIFIED SECONDARY ANALYSES
Late Breaking Clinical Trials II
- A Single Covert Brain Infarction – An Incidental Finding or Opportunity for Prevention?
- Should Double Antiplatelet Be Given Routine for a Short Period for All Non-AF Ischemic Stroke Patients (DAPT)?
- Which Is the Better Strategy for Primary and Secondary Stroke Prevention- Tailored to the Individual or Use of Polypill Concept?
- Is Medical Treatment Enough for Patients With Asymptomatic Severe Cervical Carotid Stenosis?
- Should Intra-Arterial Thrombolysis Be Considered Following Mechanical Thrombectomy With Suboptimal Recanalization?
- Mechanical Thrombectomy for Patients With Large Infarcts (Aspects 3–5), Yay or Nay?
- Left Atrial Appendage Closure Is the Main Treatment Option for Patients With AF Who Have Had A Stroke Despite Optimal Anticoagulation?
- Is there an optimal time or time sensitive window after stroke to enhance motor recovery?
- Is Perfusion Imaging for Decision Making for Reperfusion Treatment in Patients With Large Vessel Obstruction in the Late Time Window Essential or Not Worth the Hassle?
- Low-Dose Alteplase for Stroke Thrombolysis – Is the Clinical Role Defined?
Stroke in the COVID-19 pandemic
- Pathophysiology and outcomes of stroke associated with COVID-19 infection
- Impact of COVID-19 on stroke care- early experience from the breakout in Wuhan
- Hyperacute recanalization stroke treatments in COVID-19 patients
- Stroke rehabilitation in a pandemic – Limitations and opportunities
Diagnostic and Predictive Biomarkers in Stroke and Cognitive Impairment
- The role of biomarkers in acute stroke management
- Biomarkers to guide secondary stroke prevention
- Biomarkers of high-risk carotid and intracranial atherosclerosis
- Biomarkers and the risk of dementia
Latest approaches to ICH management
- Comparison of 2022 ICH guideline: ESO and AHA/ASA
- Latest data on blood pressure management in ICH
- Advances in neurosurgical ICH approaches
- Recent issues of oral anticoagulant associated ICH
- Anticoagulation after ICH – considerations for patients with AF, cerebral microbleeds and others
Advance in Intracranial Artery Stenosis (ICAS) and Clinical Practice
- Stroke syndromes and mechanisms related to ICAS
- Advances in imaging for ICAS
- Hyperacute treatment for stroke-related to ICAS
- Secondary prevention for stroke secondary to ICAS
Retrieving the clot – achieving the task
- Aspiration versus Stent Retriever Thrombectomy – When to use which?
- How clot imaging could help thrombectomy?
- Thrombectomy-resistant large vessel obstruction stroke- tricks and tips
- Adjunctive Intra-arterial thrombolysis optimizing reperfusion
New Avenues for Secondary stroke prevention
- Factor XIa inhibition: what is the rational in context of secondary stroke prevention
- Lp(a) a new potentially treatable target in secondary stroke prevention
- Intensive lipid control and tighter target levels for secondary stroke prevention
- Anti-inflammatory targets for secondary stroke prevention
Updates on stroke primary and secondary prevention
- Antiplatelets including role of dual antiplatelet therapy
- Anticoagulation and device therapy for structural heart disease
- Carotid disease- medical management and carotid intervention
- Blood pressure control: Is intensive lowering necessary?
Disparities in stroke epidemiology and care
- Stroke in Women: What we all should know in 2022
- Racial and ethnic disparities in stroke: novel insights
- Digital health innovations to reduce inequities in stroke
- Impact of country and region economic status
Hyper-acute therapies of ischemic stroke
- Intravenous thrombolysis prior to mechanical thrombectomy- a critical review of the evidence
- Lesson learnt from meta-analysis of RCT for thrombolysis and mechanical thrombectomy
- Intravenous thrombolysis prior to mechanical thrombectomy: Application in the real world.
SEA session – Current status and plans to improve stroke care in Southeast Asia- developing a legacy following WSC 2022.
- Stroke epidemiology & working towards a common data repository
- Acute stroke services and opportunities to improve care
- Stroke nursing across the region and potential collaborations
- Stroke recovery and advocacy- gaps and opportunities
- Developing a roadmap for stroke care across the region
Big picture issues affecting stroke
- Environmental and climate change & Stroke
- Ageing paradigms & Brain, Vascular disease
- Neuroplasticity and stroke recovery
- Stem cells – the opportunity for stroke
Emerging Topics in Atrial Fibrillation and Stroke
- What’s New With Anticoagulation and Atrial Fibrillation?
- Rhythm Control in Patients With AF for Stroke Prevention
- Screening for Atrial Fibrillation: When, How, and in Whom?
- Atrial Fibrillation and Cognitive Impairment
Joint Session with World Health Organization (WHO) – Salient Considerations for Implementation of interventions for reducing the global burden of stroke.
- Policy and Pragmatic Solutions to improve global surveillance of stroke and its risk factors
- Policy and Pragmatic Solutions to improve Primary and Secondary Prevention of stroke
- Policy and Pragmatic Solutions to improve hyperacute and acute stroke care
- Policy and Pragmatic Solutions to improve rehabilitation and re-integration of stroke survivors
- Discussion: Bringing these elements together for scaling up stroke prevention and control globally
Joint Session with World Federation of Neurology (WFN) – Challenges in Stroke Education
- Challenges of stroke education in African- WFN needs registry
- Regional differences in stroke education, training, and awareness
- World Stroke Academy Activities and Special Projects
- The Future Stroke Leaders programme
- Family centred post stroke education: primary and secondary prevention.
Joint Session with World Hypertension League (WHL) – The Global Use of Stroke as an Indicator of Population Hypertension Control
- Stroke and Hypertension Outcomes in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Stroke and Hypertension Outcomes in Brazil and South America
- Stroke and Hypertension Outcomes in Asia
- Roadmap and overall global plan for hypertension
Joint Session with Chinese Stroke Association (CSA) – Reperfusion strategies for stroke
- Advances of Tenecteplase Treatment for Reperfusion
- TRACE trials: Tenecteplase reperfusion therapy in acute ischemic cerebrovascular events I, II, and III
- Automated stroke perfusion evaluation software
- A topic on endovascular therapy (title pending)
Joint Session with The Association of Southeast Asian Nations Neurological Association (ASNA) – Stroke patterns and issues in Asian
- Stroke and infections
- Thrombolysis and small vessel disease
- Clopidogrel resistance in secondary stroke prevention
- Radiation associated carotid disease
Joint Session with Middle East North Africa Stroke and Interventional Neurology (MENA-SINO) and
Middle East North Africa Stroke Association (MENASO) – Stroke Services Organization in the Middle East Region
- Utilization of Technology To Improve Stroke Care in LMICs in the MENA Region
- Stroke and Neurointervention Training Challenges & Improvement Strategies in the MENA Region
- Improving Stroke Research and Increasing Research Outputs in the MENA Region
- Standardising Stroke Services in the MENA Region
Joint Session with The Society of Vascular and Interventional Neurology (SVIN) – Interventional Stroke Neurology
- Clinical Trials in Large Vessel Obstruction Stroke Treatment – What We Have Learnt and How To Move Forward
- 10 Years of Mechanical Thrombectomy – Implications on Stroke Treatment and Impact of Clotology
- Evolution of Neuroimaging for Mechanical Thrombectomy
- Mechanical Thrombectomy- a Global Overview and Gaps in Implementation
- Medical Management With Mechanical Thrombectomy
Joint Session with Asia Pacific Stroke Organisation (APSO) – Stroke in Asia
- Challenges of stroke care during the COVID-19 pandemic, especially in Asia
- Embolic Stroke of Unknown Source – treatment in Asians
- Stroke aetiologies in Asians
- Stroke care systems in Asia
Joint Session with The International Society of Vascular Behavioural and Cognitive Disorders (VasCog) – Advances in Vascular Cognitive Impairment and Dementia
- Post-stroke cognitive impairment and dementia: what have we learned from previous studies and what will DISCOVERY reveal
- Diagnosing vascular cognitive impairment
- Dementia risk models in stroke cohorts
- Brain imaging for vascular cognitive impairment – what is useful and what needs to be established
- How should we perform better clinical trials globally for vascular cognitive impairment?
Joint Session with ISRRA
Implementation Science – Bridging the Gap Between Research and Practice
- What To Implement? Selecting Best Stroke Practices Using Consensus-Based Guidelines
- How To Implement? Supporting and Sustaining the Implementation of Best Stroke Practices
- Lessons Learnt From Implementing Evidence-Based Stroke Care in Low-/Middle-Income Countries
- Building Partnerships With Industry and Academic/Research Centres
TC 1: Challenging Stroke Cases (180 min)
- Vascular Eagle Syndrome and TIA
- Fabry Disease and Stroke
- Bone Disease and Stroke
- Moya Moya Disease
- Cancer-Associated Stroke
- Stroke in Sickle Cell Disease
- Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathies Related to Inflammation
TC 2: Pediatric Ischemic Stroke
- Stroke Etiologies & Treatments
- Pediatric Stroke Thrombectomy: Workflow Variations Around the World
- Imaging of Pediatric Ischemic Stroke
- The Australian Paediatric Acute Code Stroke (PACS) Study – Mark Mackay (SSO Talk; Possible Lived Experience Sharing)
TC 3: Imaging Concepts in Stroke
- Imaging for Haemorrhagic Stroke – From Basic to Advanced
- Quick Imaging Assessment for Reperfusion Decision Making
- Imaging of Cerebral Vasculature Including Vessel Wall Imaging
- Perfusion and Collaterals
TC 4: Post Stroke Complications (180 min)
- Seizures and Epilepsy
- Post Stroke Pain and Spasticity- When To Suspect and Treatment Modalities
- Neuropsychiatric Complications of Stroke
- Issues With Sexuality and Intimacy
- Movement Disorders
- Long Term Emotional Well-Being (SSO)
TC 5: Rare Genetic Causes of Stroke When To Search for Them
- Genetic Risk Factors for Ischemic and Hemorrhagic Stroke
- Genetics of Aneurysms and SAH
- Monogenic Cerebral Small-Vessel Diseases
- Mitochondrial Disease and Stroke
TC 6: Neurosonology From Basics to Latest News
- High Risk Carotid Plaques – Assessing for Risk Beyond Severity of Stenosis
- Potential Role of Microemboli Monitoring in Stroke Management
- Cerebrovascular Reactivity and Perfusion Imaging Using TCD
- Right to Left Shunting With cTCD, cTTE and cTEE
- When and Which Modality To Use in Stroke Evaluation
TC 7: Primary Angiitis of the Central Nervous System & Cerebral Dissection
- The Many Faces of PACNS: Clinical Presentation and Diagnostic Work-Up
- The Fine Art of PACNS Treatment: From Easy to Tough Cases
- Cerebral Artery Dissection- Clinical Presentation and Diagnostic Work-Up
- Treatment Options and Duration for Cerebral Dissection
TC 8: Breadth of Nursing in Stroke Care
- Hyperacute Stroke Care With and Without Reperfusion Treatment
- Stroke Unit Management Is Key in Both Low and High Resource Settings
- Outpatient Care of Stroke Patients – Scope and Opportunities
- Role of Nurses in Support and Advocacy for the Stroke Community
- Sharing by Person With Lived Experience on Their Stroke Journey and How Nurses Made a Difference
TC 9: Diagnosis and Management of Cerebral Venous Thrombosis
- Introduction to CVST: What We Know and Are Still Learning About?
- Epidemiology of CVST
- Diagnosis and Management of Cerebral Venous Thrombosis
- Cerebral Venous Thrombosis in Women
TC 10: Hyperacute Stroke
- Simulation Training for Mechanical Thrombectom
- The History of Thrombolysis From NINDS Trial To Present
- EVT for Non-Interventionalists- Show and Tell
- Reversal of Anticoagulation for Thrombolysis Treatment
- Neuroprotection – Where Does It Stand in the Reperfusion Era?
TC 11: How to Implement Acute Stroke Care: From the Hospital to the Country
- Evaluating your service or potential services – The WSO Roadmap for quality of Stroke Services
- Structuring your stroke unit and stroke team: what elements are important?
- Creating the stroke care pathways, implementing reperfusion therapy
- Why and how to monitor the quality?
- How to discuss with health managers to organize stroke care?
- Moderate discussions with an interactive platform of interesting stroke dilemmas